Notifiable Work

Regustered Competent Person PNG.png
Napit Approved Logo.png
There are different types of which is called 'notifiable work' that can be carried out in or around a domestic, commercial or industrial property. Below is a list of work that must be notified to the local authority either by the installer, the installer's trade association or by a Building Control Inspector:

a) The installation of a new circuit
b) The replacement of a consumer unit
c) Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.

Special location classification:
a) Within a room containing a bath or shower
b) A room containing a swimming pool or sauna.

a) Adding a socket to an existing circuit
b) Adding lighting points to an existing circuit
c) Installing an outside light from an existing circuit
d) Installing lights and sockets in a conservatory from existing circuits
e) Installing socket-outlets or lighting points from existing circuits in a kitchen

Meeting the requirements of BS7671 will require the installer to
a) Provide an Electrical Installation Certificate, or Electrical Inspection Condition Report or Minor Works Certificate. The type of certificate you will receive is entirely dependant on the type of work you have carried out.

For example, if you have a new socket installed as part of an existing circuit in a living room - When the job is complete, your electrician should provide you with a Minor Works Certificate as an absolute minimum.

No matter the size of your job, the electrician should provide you with an Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Works Certificate which will confirm that the work carried out meets the British Standard for electrical safety BS 7671. All electrical work such as the ones detailed above are covered under Building Regulations.


Non-notifiable Work

Provision of information